DNN 5 and Repository Integration

Nov 1, 2009 at 1:58 PM

Hi there,

Firstly I'd like to say thanks for releasing this, tight integration with cloud based storage services is just what DNN needs if it's to be used as a service that really requires scalability.  This module seems just the ticket.

I'm currently trying to get it working with the latest stable release of the repository.  I have the S3 folder integration module installed and configured and have added a new item to my repository that has a link to one of my S3 stored files, awesome!

The only problem is, when I attempt to download said file via the repository, I get this message,

A critical error has occurred.
Could not find file 'C:\inetpub\wwwroot\mysite\mysite\Portals\0\AmazonBuckets\mysiteimages\images00001.zip'.

I have the repository configured to URLControlFile, obviously so I can link to a file rather than uploading a fresh one each time anyway, but for some reason it doesn't seem to be connecting up with your extension in order to "aquire" the file from S3.

Any ideas on how I can proceed?  Many thanks for your time in advance.

Nick.

Nov 1, 2009 at 2:08 PM

Hi Nick,

Sorry to hear you’re having issues with the Amazon S3 linkage.

When you use another module (e.g. the links module) to create a link to a S3 file, does that link work properly? I have not tested integration with the repository, so it’s not impossible that it is using an unexpected file-system access method. Determining whether ALL S3 links are broken – or just those in a repository instance – will aid in diagnosing this issue.

Brandon

Nov 1, 2009 at 2:17 PM

Hey Brandon,

I've just tested via another method of using the "Links" module.  I created a link to the very same file that I have added to the repository.  Although this one doesn't say that it can't find the URL, unfortunately it just sits on a blank screen and times out.

What would be the recommended way of testing S3 folder integration?

Thanks for your speedy reply.

Nick.

Nov 6, 2009 at 9:51 PM

Hey Brandon,

Have you any more news on why I may be experiencing this issue?  Maybe I should try an older version perhaps?  Thanks for your time, it's greatly appreciated.  I would of been on this during the week if it wasn't for the day job lol!

Cheers.

Nick.

Nov 6, 2009 at 10:18 PM

Hi Nick,

I'll be busy through the end of next week with the OpenForce 2009 conference, so it's unlikely I'll be able to get a testing framework loaded up for the module before then.

if I were in your shoes, I would load up a debugging proxy (such as Fiddler) and look at the requests being made between your DotNetNuke installation and the S3 service.  This will yield a lot of insight as to who is responsible for the problem.  It's likely to be permission-related, or an underlying bug in the extension, but it's too soon to tell which.  (I'd also see if any requests were being made through the repository module as well, if any.)

Sorry for the delay on this, but I'll do my best to prioritize!

Brandon

Nov 6, 2009 at 10:23 PM

Hey Brandon,

Okay mate that sounds like a good idea, I'll take a look with Fiddler and see what I can find.  If I can't see anything that makes sense to me I'll set up an instance of DNN 5 over the weekend and have a go at debugging the source to see if I can find anything obvious in there.  I shouldn't imagine it's anything major more than likely something I've done wrong during the install of DNN 5 knowing me, that thing seems to have a different problem every time I install it!

Cheers for your time again and take care.

No rush btw!  I understand that you're busy :)

Nick.

Nov 6, 2009 at 10:42 PM
Edited Nov 6, 2009 at 10:43 PM

Quick update...

According to Fiddler, after sending the request for the correct URL, it came back with a 301 (Moved Permanently) Error, 

HTTP/1.1 301 Moved Permanently
Cache-Control: private
Content-Length: 707657
Content-Type: image/jpeg
Location: http://s3.amazonaws.com/montagezoneimages/2004051608566[1].jpg
Server: Microsoft-IIS/7.5
content-disposition: inline; filename="2004051608566%5b1%5d.jpg"
X-AspNet-Version: 2.0.50727
X-Powered-By: ASP.NET
Date: Fri, 06 Nov 2009 22:39:59 GMT

Which is a little odd as I can click that link and it grabs the file fine.   I'll have a closer look tomorrow to see what's going on!

Feb 18, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Hi, I was wondering if you were able to get this issue cleared up and link your Amazon S3 folder to the repository.  We would also like to link a repository to an S3 folder.

Thanks for your time.